Achieve goals and lead your projects to success with our Project Management Essentials course in Sydney.
New COVID-19 Recovery special discount price – $949 (inc GST) per person ONLINE!
Enhance your ability to lead teams and analyse complex problems with a project management course. Learn Project Management with our Project Management courses – short courses open to everyone, and delivered in small groups or online.
These courses are delivered by experienced, practitioners who are themselves qualified, senior project managers with accreditations from professional bodies, as well as substantial training experience throughout Australia, China and South East Asia.
Our company is a Global Registered Education Provider for the Project Management Institute (PMI®). The PMI Registered Education Provider designation is the highest mark of excellence in project management training. Registered Education Providers are organisations approved by PMI to offer project management training and must meet or exceed PMI’s rigorous quality standards and requirements. Our core project management courses are also endorsed by the Australian Institute of Project Management (AIPM) , and support Australia’s National Competency Standard in project management.
Next session (4 x 3.5 hrs daily): Online August or September 2021 (click for more information)
Training Course Benefits
This intensive project management course provides occasional or part-time project managers and team members with the practical skills needed to effectively manage small or medium business and technical projects in the workplace. The course is intended for projects which are smaller or shorter term, such as managing events or conferences, implementing workplace changes, developing web sites, conducting trade work and managing office infrastructure changes or fit-outs. It focusses on the steps required at each stage of the project life cycle.
The course reviews all the topics in the sixth edition of A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) as well as all the major topics in the Australian BSB51415 Diploma of Project Management, but not in-depth and without excessive detail, applying the principles to a series case study-based team exercises.
A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) published by the Project Management Institute (PMI®) is their flagship publication and a fundamental resource for effective project management in any industry. PMI® global standards provide guidelines, rules and characteristics for project, program and portfolio management. These standards are widely accepted. When consistently applied, they help you and your organisation achieve professional excellence.
Project Management Learning Outcomes
This project management course covers the activities in each of the five processes of Project Management, namely Initiating, Planning, Executing, Controlling and Closing, as well as all the Knowledge Areas (or Competency Units) in the standards.
At the completion of this project management course you should be able to:
- Define the scope and user requirements of a project, and the best means of controlling changes to the scope.
- Develop a realistic schedule which meets the stakeholders’ constraints.
- Manage project stakeholders to ensure they remain committed and involved throughout the project.
- Identify and manage risks which could disrupt or damage the project.
- Use a structured approach to prepare a project plan, incorporating appropriate plans, schedules, a budget and specific outputs/deliverables for each step of the plan.
- Determine project quality objectives and identify appropriate controls to ensure the desired outcomes are achieved.
- Use methods for timely and accurate reporting of progress against plan.
- Manage crises arising from the project’s work and stakeholder assumptions.
- Ensure they obtain the appropriate resources for the project.
- Build effective teams which are committed to the project goals.
The instructor will use a variety of interactive methods during the course, including:
- Group brainstorming and discussions.
- Team exercises and presentations.
- Case study problem-solving.
- Suggested evening readings and web site downloads.
Project Management Essentials Course Content
This project management course will cover the following content:
- Project Management overview and terminology.
- Characteristics of projects and typical project problems.
- The project life cycle.
- Critical success factors.
Project Initiation and Stakeholders
- Project start-up activities.
- Project constraints.
- Managing stakeholders.
Defining the Project Scope
- Gathering requirements.
- Scope definition.
- Managing scope changes.
- Planning process/workflow.
- Work Breakdown Structure.
- Network diagrams and task dependencies.
- Estimation techniques.
- Milestones and Gantt charts.
- Project budget and impact of suppliers.
Quality and Risk Management
- Identifying and managing project risks.
- Controlling quality of project deliverables and meeting the stakeholder requirements.
- Staffing plans.
- Managing project teams.
- Mastering PM skills and leadership.
Status reporting and correcting variances to plan
- Using the baseline plan.
- Determining accurate status, what to report, and what actions to take on deviations from the plan.
Managing Project Closure
- Project closure – administrative steps.
- Contract closure checklists.
- Review of key course concepts.
- Using the work book’s follow-up activities.
This project management course is designed for less experienced project managers and team members with some limited hands on experience who wish to learn more about Project Management principles and understand current best practices, without excessive theory.
It particularly suits participants who manage projects on a part time or occasional basis, and where projects are less complex, primarily affecting single departments or a smaller number of stakeholder groups over a shorter time frame, eg, six months’ duration or less. For those who manage projects or support project managers on a regular basis, and where projects are complex, affecting multiple departments or a medium to large number of stakeholder groups, we recommend Project Management Course: The Complete Guide.
It provides all of the underlying project management knowledge required to pursue a BSB51415 Diploma of Project Management via Recognition of Prior Learning, although it does not in itself lead to that award.
Professional Development Units/Continuing Professional Development
14 PDUs OR 20 CPD points.
This course will provide attendees with 14 hours of required instructor-led training for professional accreditation with the PMI, as well as 14 Professional Development Units (PDUs) or 20 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points for accredited members of the Australian Institute of Project Management (Category B7 – Knowledge).
This project management course also partially satisfies the training requirements for the Project Management Institute’s Project Management Professional (PMP)® qualification and the underlying knowledge requirements for The Australian Institute of Project Management’s Certified Practising Project Manager (CPPM) certification.
|Australian Institute of Project Management||20 CPD Points|
|Project Management Institute (PMI®)||14 PDUs|
Please note: For those seeking PDUs for Project Management Institute (PMI®) accreditation, reference codes will be provided to participants at the completion of this project management course. PDUs are valid for six (6) years for those seeking accreditation for the first time or three (3) years for those seeking to renew accreditation.
This project management course will be delivered as an interactive workshop consisting of an instructor-led lecture, group and individual activities. This training approach allows participants to work through concepts introduced by the trainer in an application-focused teaching environment. Participants will challenge their understanding of the concepts and consider their application once back in their individual workplace.
Project Management Essentials Course Prerequisites
This project management course has no prerequisites and is open to all members of the public.
Each attendee will receive:
- A complete set of presentation slides.
- Comprehensive reference work book with case study activities.
- A book of templates for each step of the project plan.
- Suggested solutions to case study exercises.
- A certificate of attendance confirming PDUs (contact hours) earned which will normally be recognised towards the requirements of both the PMI® and AIPM in ongoing professional development.